There are many ways that you can market your business online. An active profile with Google My Business is just one strategy that you can use. It is something you should definitely be using if you want to find customers in your local area.
Optimising your website for search engines is essential for generating leads online. If you were going to concentrate on just one search engine, then it should be Google. There are many small business owners that spend a significant amount of time and money on search engine optimisation. Business map listings have become an increasingly important part of being visible online. If you want to raise awareness of your brand in your local area, then Google My Business is one of the most effective strategies that you can use.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is an application that collates different aspects of Google in one place. This includes search, maps, analytics and reviews. It is a very useful tool because it means you can access everything from the one tab.
It is also good for customers because they only need to visit one location to find all the information they need about your business. This includes your address, contact details and opening times. This helps you to build up the trust of your customers.
This guide will tell you everything that you need to know about setting up a Google My Business account and how to get the best out of it once it has been set up.
If you already have a Google email address then you will get access to a lot of helpful tools as soon as you log in. This includes Google Analytics and Google Search Console which are two of the best tools in the business.
However, there is no need to worry if you don’t have a Google email. You can still register your existing email address and get access to all the features that you need.
How to Set Up your Google My Business Account
1. Sign into Google
This can be done from visiting https://www.google.com/business/. You will need to make sure that you are not signed into your regular Google account. There will be a blue button at the top of the page that will allow you to sign in. This will allow you to search for your business.
2. Create Your Google My Business Account
If you do not already have an account, then you can also create one from this page. The button is located just below the sign in button. You will need to confirm that you are authorised to manage your business before you continue.
3. Enter Your Email Address
You are able to use your current email address, even if it is not a Google one. Below the Choose Your Username button there is a box that you can check to allow you use your current email address.
4. Verify Your Account
There are several steps that you will need to go through in order to verify your account:
- Create a password and then confirm it.
- Confirm your date of birth. You should enter your own date of birth and not the date your business was formed. This is important because restrictions will be placed on your account if the date entered here appears to make you between 18 and 21 years of age.
- Select your gender.
- Enter your phone number to aid with account recovery should it become necessary.
- Add the geographic location of your business.
5. Optimise Your Business Profile
Your profile will be most effective if you can include as many details about your business as possible. By this stage you should have all the basic details in place, but you need to think about the following details as well:
- Reviews. Reviews on Google help customers to see that your business can be trusted. If your existing customers are happy with the service they have received, then ask them if they will leave a positive review. This will ensure that potential customers are able to find these reviews when they come across these reviews online.
- Photos. Ensure that photos of your logo and the products you sell are included on your profile. This is a great way of showing off your best-selling products.
- Posts. This is a new feature that lets you share pages from your website or blog. It allows you to keep your customers up to date about what is happening with your business, but it will need to be updated after one week.
- Categories. Ensuring that your business is listed in the right category will make it easier for potential customers to find you.
6. Keep Monitoring Your Account
Once you have your Google My Business account set up, then your business will become more visible online. It will hopefully not be too long before you start to notice that you are getting new leads. However, it is not just a case of getting everything set up and then forgetting about it.
If you have a Google business account that is linked to Google My Business, then you can make use of Insights. This will give you a detailed look at how people interact with your website. You will be able to see how people reached your site and how they navigated around it once they were there. This will also allow you to see which parts of your Google My Business profile are working well, and where improvements may be needed.
Another thing that you don’t want to overlook is keeping your opening times updated. There are options where you can amend your hours over Christmas, for example. This is important because you don’t want customers turning up to your premises, only to find that you are closed. This could lead to them leaving you a negative review which will be seen by other customers. All of this can easily be avoided by making sure that your account is monitored on a regular basis.
If you have any further questions about setting up your Google My Business account, then please do not hesitate to contact Power SEO and we will glad to offer you our expert assistance.